January 31, 2012

Clomid, Take 1

I had my doctor's appointment on Friday afternoon, and it went pretty much as expected. Before getting into the nitty gritty, can I please tell you how much I adore my OBGYN? I go to Dr. Pappas at Mercy. His name is why I chose him in the first place...if a man named Pappas wasn't made to do pap smears, I don't know who was! Ok, seriously...I'm kidding. I chose him because:

1. I know several ladies who have gone to him throughout their
pregnancy/labor/etc and they all speak very highly of him

2. I really like his demeanor, and the personality of his nurse

3. When I went to him to start the whole 'baby making process,' I told him that
I wanted to be aggressive in testing/treatment/etc, and he has been 100%
on board with everything I've wanted

4. He's known to be very good in difficult situations. I really hope that I do
not have to see this side of him, but if I do at least I know he can handle
it

So yeah, he's great. I went into my appointment on Friday hoping he would go ahead and start me on Clomid since I'm still not ovulating very often (note- STILL haven't this month either...now on day 37), and that's exactly what he did. I have concerns that the dosage might not be right/enough, as I've had several friends on this medication that ended up having it increased after 2-3 months (months of wasted time, in my eyes), so I asked Dr. Pappas if there was any way to know the accuracy of the dosage sooner than later. Ends up, there is a test you can do to check particular levels at certain times of the month. Score. My next steps are:

1. As soon as I test positive for ovulation, I'll schedule an appointment at
the lab for 10 days after the positive read- this is where they will test
my levels for a baseline (not on Clomid at this point) read

2. As soon as I start my period, I'll start taking the Clomid (Days 3-7)

3. #2 above should make me ovulate MUCH faster than what I have been. After I test positive for ovulation again, I'll go back to the lab on day 10 and have the same test done that I had done on #1 above. This should tell me if my Clomid dosage is enough to do what it's suppose to do

After this, I have a follow-up appointment with Dr. P the first week of March. Easy as pie, right? I'm actually excited to start Clomid...I've heard lots and lots of positive stories from people I know who got on this and got pregnant within 2-3 months...plus, logic alone tells me that ovulating EVERY MONTH will only give me that many more chances of getting one of my eggs fertilized at the right time.

I realize that this is probably TMI for some of you...sorry! I laughed for probably 2 full minutes the other day with my friend Brad texted me and was like "so...how's your ovulation going?" I don't want this blog to only be about babies and ovulation and tests and blah blah blah....but right now that's my life so that's what ya get! =) My next post will not deal with this, promise.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I tired commenting last night, but my phone wouldn't let me post the comment. Hopefully it will now. Anywho - I told you that maybe you would O late and you did. Yay! And good luck with the Clomid. I hope it works for you. I have no problems reading about all this stuff. I appreciate your openness. I find it refreshing.

Bethany said...

Praying everything goes well on the clomid and there's a mini-Hottinger in the oven in no time! :)

AJ said...

Best of luck! Can't wait till you get your BFP!!!

Jen Hottinger said...

Thanks ladies, me too!

Cherron said...

Yay Clomid! I know things that are just going to take off now. Let the baby making begin!