February 2, 2012

I love my job

I am very lucky- I work for a smaller company out of Texas, running their number 1 and number 3 accounts here in Northwest Arkansas. I've been here for 3+ years and it continues to get better and better all the time! And I know when it's good, because in 6 years of vendor experience I have seen the bad and the ugly as well.

My first job was pretty much a financial analyst/marketing coordinator role with a very large company based out of San Francisco. This quickly developed into an analyst and then senior analyst role within a year or so. This company was fun to work for- we had no limit on our expenses...we went on amazing trips for sales meetings and market checks...we received great gifts once or twice a year...and the booze flowed like water. Being young and new to the vendor world (having just finished my masters and having worked on campus for 3 years at the U of A), I was elated! Plus, the money was a huge difference from campus paychecks...which was nice. I was at this job for like a year and half before I left. I would have stayed longer, but there was a lot of drama/craziness between my manager and director (long story short they were having an affair with each other for over a year and it ended and they both ended up getting fired) and I wanted in a better environment...so I started looking. Also, since I came in as a FA and not a senior sales analyst, I was underpaid for what I was doing . I got a raise to start the SSA role, but it was nowhere near what other companies were paying for the same role.

I started working for another large company out of the Denver, CO area in 2007. This company seemed like the perfect company for me! It was a small office...the company was very focused on sustainability and various environmental initiatives...the home office was in a place I would have loved to have moved to...my boss was a blunt, direct person who appreciated the same...it was a great fit. Sadly, this perfect fit began to unravel rather quickly. Within a few months, my boss (whom many hated, but I gelled well with) was promoted within and moved to CO. A month or two after that he asked me to come work for him there in CO, but I was not financially or emotionally in a place to go yet (we had just bought a new house at the top of the market and then the market tanked, so no getting out of that one so quickly....PLUS we were talking about starting a family and both sets of parents are local) so I turned that down. Immediately I regretted it, as I was stuck now in an office with a new boss that I wasn't fond of and a VP who seemed to all of a sudden have a bad taste in his mouth for me. This was a depressing time for me- I was sooooo excited about this company and what it stood for, yet I could feel it almost slipping away from me. Sadly, I only ended up staying here for a little over a year due to the VP over the office being a total douche-bag and making my life miserable.

People say that things happen for a reason, and in this instance I feel like that is what happened with my transition from my last company to my new one! I was brought on as a senior sales analyst, but within a few short months I was managing two of the company's top three accounts. Talk about a promotion- lol! At a large company you generally have to work YEARS to get to manage a top retailer...and here I just lucked into it. That's not totally true....I have worked my tail off over the past few years...but a lot of where I am now is due to timing and opportunity. Things were bumpy at first, with me reporting to 4 different bosses within 3 years and the company changing hands, but overall I am blessed. I have freedom. I have control over my business. I have reachable opportunities with each customer. I have a great boss (now). I get credit for my work. I get respect.

I love it!

1 comment:

Cherron said...

I know how hard you work at your job and how you've worked in the past. I'm so happy you love what you are doing. It really does make all the difference.