April 11, 2012

I is for Infertility

Wikipedia says that infertility is the inability to conceive. Most couples are not coined as going through infertility until they have gone at least a year of unprotected sex without getting pregnant. Chris and I fall into this bucket..and I hate the term.

I'm still in the camp that says I can and will get pregnant this year. I'm still thinking positively in that there are no hidden, major issues and that the clomid/ progesterone and metformin are going to do what they do and I'll be knocked up before you know it. I'm still feeling excited each time I start my period, knowing the steps I will take for the next several weeks to see if we can bake a baby.

I'll admit, though, I'm fading fast. We are getting to the point that there are not many 'next steps' besides IUI and IVF. I am getting into month three of clomid, which means I can't take it for much longer before having to stop it and perhaps go on another medication. I am feeling that all the work we've put in over the past several months (tests/medications/constant 'trying') has led us to where we are today....and I feel it peaking and am afraid of what is on the other side if it's not pregnancy.

So yes...I'm staying positive in this moment, but two months down the road could be a completely different story. We shall see...

Keep us in your prayers, please. I REALLY have lots of hope for the month of April. =)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Keep up the hope. That's all you can do (and of course have sex at the right time of the month). It sucks that this isn't something you can make happen. You can do everything right and do everything possible to get pregnant, but you can't make it happen. That is what sucks the most. I felt the SAME way. I know what you are feeling. In understand the disappointment and frustration - feeling like a failure. Desperately wanting to see the word 'PREGNANT' on the pee stick. I sincerely hope it happens for you this month (or very soon). Struggling to conceive was one of the most difficult periods in my life. It was just so demoralizing. I didn't like feeling like a failure. I didn't like not being able to succeed and get what I desperately wanted. But when I finally did get pregnant - it was like a miracle. In a way, I guess it was all worth it. Even though at the time it sucked!