March 8, 2012

Fertility Update

To start with, please ignore this post if you don't want to hear about my lady business. =)

I went to the doctor last Friday hopeful that I could possibly be pregnant. You see, it had been over three full weeks since I ovulated, and generally women either start menstruation or get a positive pregnancy test within two weeks. At that point, I had done neither, so I figured there was some hope there, ya know? Home pregnancy tests are wrong all the time, right?

After peeing in the cup for the nurse and then reviewing my information with the doc, I started in on the questions- was I pregnant? If not, why hadn't I started my period? Is the clomid dosage enough? What are the next steps? I wasn't quite expecting the answers I got.

Ends up, my body isn't producing enough progesterone (or so the doc thinks at this point). Why is this important? Progesterone does a million different things for pregnancy, but one of the most important things it does is that it 'prepares' the uterus for a baby...and keeps it from contracting so that the fertilized egg can actually implant.

The good news is that Chris's swimmers and my eggs are actually hooking up and fertilizing and forming embryos. The bad news is that my uterus is rejecting them a couple of weeks down the process and forcing them to miscarry because of my progesterone levels. This is why I don't 'start' two weeks after I ovulate. Like now...I'm a month out and just waiting for this to happen so that I can start the next cycle of meds/etc.

The other good news is that the doctor has a plan for me (for this month at least- I am now seeing him every 4 weeks, so things will continue to change I'm sure). Next steps:

1. Whenever I finally 'start' again, I will be doubling my Clomid meds on day
3-7 of my cycle

2. I will 'concentrate relations' (as the doc says) as needed leading up to
Ovulation

3. 3 days after I test positive for Ovulation, I have to start taking a
Progesterone suppository. This is suppose to be a pill that I literally
have to stick up my lady parts every single night before I go to bed. I
will do this for 30 days and will then test for pregnancy. If pregnant, I
have to continue this process for at least the first 12 weeks. If not preg,
I stop the suppositories and that will allow a period to come

4. 7 days after I test positive for Ovulation I have to go do some more blood work to check my Progesterone levels and something else...can't remember

Confused yet? I was at first, but I think it has all sunk in now. I've had a few rough days where I've thought about the fact that I still haven't started...and how there is still this fertilized egg inside of me trying to find a comfy spot to land and grow...and it just bums me out because I know it won't find that spot and I just have to wait for it. I can't help but be bummed. I know the fact that the doc is figuring some things out is positive. I know starting new steps is positive. All this can only help.....but right now I'm sad. And that's ok.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry. It is good (very good) that y'all are on top of this and have a plan (and that you have figure out you are probably low on progesterone). That has to be reassuring. The whole process is draining though. For that, I am sorry. I hope you get a happy face on a pregnancy test very soon and good luck with the "concentration" of relations. That's funny stuff.

AJ said...

it sounds like you have a solid plan. i imagine baby hottinger will be around in no time.
keep your chin up!